Welcome to the Alexander Findley Community Library, named after Alexander Findley, who was born in Ireland in 1759. He immigrated to America on September 15, 1811, and purchased the first land in the town of Mina from the Holland Land Company. By 1816 he was able to complete construction of a dam, flooding the area of two ponds and creating the lake we now know and love. Findley continued to live here throughout his life and died in 1832.
On May 29, 2000, we became a free association library and opened in one room of the Findley Lake Community Center, the former Findley Lake Elementary School. We became a part of the Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System (CCLS). In 2003 we expanded into an adjoining room, providing the much-needed space for our children’s area, computer lab, and new checkout desk. In 2011 we were granted Absolute charter.
We provide our patrons with thousands of materials, access to materials at 38 libraries across two counties, and six patron computers with internet access. We also provide WiFi, available 24 hours a day. We offer many programs to our patrons and the community, most of which are free of charge. We do not charge fines for overdue materials, but a donation will graciously be accepted.