Our Library is named after Alexander Findley. Findley was born in Ireland in 1759. He immigrated to America on September 15, 1811 and purchased the first land in the town of Mina from the Holland Land Company. By 1816 he was able to complete construction of a dam, flooding the area of two ponds and creating the lake we now know and love. Findley continued to live here throughout his life and died in 1832.
We became a free association library on May 29, 2000 and opened in one room of the Findley Lake Community Center, the former Findley Lake Elementary School. We became a part of the Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System (CCLS). In 2003 we expanded into an adjoining room, providing the much needed space for our children’s area and new checkout area. In 2011 we were granted Absolute charter.